Wednesday, July 1, 2009

All eyes on San Diego

Earlier tonight I took my final for my mini semester course in computer electronics. It's actually a two part course, the first four weeks are learning the hardware side of computers, while the second term focuses on the programing side. Not the kind of programming you so often hear of, rather the machine language, actually learning machine language. Which is where you learn the language of zeros and ones. As much as I would have liked to have put in another four weeks of school, I would have to say going to San Diego, and Comic Con were all plans made far in advance.

I just can't believe how close it is to the big event. I'll actually arriving on Saturday the 18th just four days before the madness and mayhem begins. Quite honestly I wish I had some kind of exoskeleton suit right out of some Anime or Manga world. I believe one of the first type of suits, which I just heard the Japanese have somehow replicated its basic design, was based on the Manga series called Gundam Seed.

Even though I am filming a documentary which has no pre-written script or actors and all the other aspects of a fictional film. One has to keep in mind this is Comic Con and though I don't have a storyboard guiding my direction I do have the experiance of being part of this event twice before as a volonteer, not to mention I once lived and worked in San Diego. I also have thought about doing just this for so long now I have dreams about it. Then there will be the mighty fans who will dress in character, almost taking on the part of whom ever they might be emulating, to a point where a savy director and crew could cast a real motion picture with the fans as the real stars.

I suppose that is part of what I hope to take away from this documentary. An adlibed oasis of well dressed characters with a great pasion for what will be their most charesed memories, at least I hope so. I remember the first time I walked through those magical doors of what is the San Diego Comic Con my life changed forever. I just hope that I can come within a fraction of how I felt and bring it to those who were there and to those around the world that have access to a computer. I have no delusions of grandure, my greatest achievment would be if It were to be screned at a future Comic Con, otherwise I plan to share my story with the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to seeing what you crank out. It can get hectic, but is definitely worth it. My only advice is Network, Network, Network. I ended up landing an NBC gig (triumph the insult comic-dog) as well as some others based on us shooting Con last year. Also, I really hope you have a dedicated host/interviewer with you, or that that's you and you have a seperate camera man - doing the one man band thing at Con, just for crowd control reasons and getting the right people to think you're important enough to talk to is something I wouldn't recommend.

Have fun! And buy our DVD for some ideas, steal any of the good ones! =D (http://www.crashingthecon.com, or just find us at Comic-Con, we'll be selling at multiple booths and including a SDCC 2009 Exclusive Bonus disc with every purchase)

rht66 said...

Thanks Douglas, I have been so busy (see post after this one), that I am not sure when I will get a chance to do all the editing done. Maybe in-between Fall and Spring semesters.