Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What makes something simple seem like the world is going to crash in around you?

I have been doing a lot of thinking since the new year. It wasn't until just after the first and my birthday, which is on the fifth of January, that I began to realize that having back surgery could have done more harm than good. Ironically it was on my birthday that I had my first appointment with my surgeon since the procedure. I like the way that sounds, people don't have surgeries anymore, and the last time I heard the word operation was on TV or someone talking about that game, either way, that term seems to have been used so much that it has gone the way of cheap polyester suits.

It makes you wonder why we even call surgeons, surgeons when all they seem to do any more is one procedure after the other. Just as many doctors have become over paid Rn's, or Rn's should be doctors. I think my new word for 2010 is going to be proceedoralist. I am not normally this skeptical of Dr.'s, but mine is either so confident or just doesn't care how tight his schedule is. Please don't get me wrong, my psychiatrist will stay late and make sure everyone of his patients is seen on the day of their appointment. However, if one of his patients needs him, he will make sure that they receive the proper amount of time you need, and his staff is very good about keeping you updated on what's going on. Of course there may be some days you don't need the extra time and he seems to have a real talent for keeping things in balance.

Whereas on the morning of my procedure, my Dr. forgot all about coming into the little room where the Dr. can meet with your family and brief them on how things went, and when and where they can go once you're out of the recovery room. Not only did he just go from working on me, to going on to his next procedure, by the time my family found out what room I would be staying in, I was still in recovery and my side of the room was a mess. I guess the nurses were never informed that I was being admitted. Apparently the patient and his wife that had had that room to themselves didn't know either, which made for an even more awkward situation.

By the time I got settled in and had been listening in on the conversation going on around me, I started to realize I was going to be in for a long night. The man who lay in the bed across from me was battling cancer, and his wife was a real inspiration to humanity. Here she was not taller than five feet, yet she had already had a heart attack, had stints put in her main arteries, broken bones in her hand and her ankle, and even quit smoking after 50 plus years. Now she was taking care of her dieing husband, at the same time she lived on three acres of land, most of which had to be cut with a riding mower. She told us how she started her gas engine blower by putting it in a vice and from underneath, she was able to pull the cord to start the blasted thing.

So when the little things start to take a hold of me, I will think of her and the others like her. The worst of all though, and this is one I have no one to look to for inspiration, and that is when I think of what will my life be like when I'm the one lying in the bed as an adult baby that can no longer do anything for myself. It is bad enough that I could be looking at having permanent damage to my left foot. Or that when it comes to me and finding any kind of meaningful relationship. Then when you try and concentrate on a simple task like making it to your physical therapy on time, and you can't even do that, which is actually quite important, you can't help but see the world crashing in upon you. Yet some how you never stop looking for that silver lining. If not, there would be no point in writing in this blog.

4 comments:

shanaz@RS said...

I don't know what it's like to be going for surgeries and then thinking that you might be stuck unable to care for yourself, so I can't say that I know how it is you truly feel. But I know how it is to feel like the world's crashing down on me, when certain things don't happen as I expected them to, and I know very well that when despair takes over, something in me, just shudder, and I'll feel like the world is just too overwhelming. And then I don't know what to do. Until I do. Bobby, there are always people who will have your back, even if you don't know that yet. The inspiration can come from people, and also I am sure it comes from within you, as I can feel it at the end of this post, when you say that you still see that silver lining. Hang on there, Keep smiling :)

rht66 said...

Thank you for the kind words, and most of all for being so supportive. I hope you enjoy my next post, as I plan on sharing some things about me and my life that I rarely do.

Anonymous said...

Hi-gone through ur personal blog the blog depicts ur personal experience, amazing and inspiring. The life is just like wave it's come down and rise,the same occur our life, but fittest can survive,face the obstacle and learn the past mistake.Thnx and keep in touch me. Enjoy ur life the god bestow us.

rht66 said...

Thank you for the encouraging words, and yes life does have it's ups and downs. Mine tend to be more extreme than others, and there will always be moments where I will want to give up. However I know I am never alone, therefore; I know I can take what comes my way, so long as I share the load, there is nothing I can't handle.